What is a marketing platform (often used by Authors), why do you need one and what are its ingredients to success?
A platform is simply a complete and comprehensive plan that defines your audience, how you’re going to reach them and why they should care about you and/or your product/service. The benefits of having a solid platform include increased media exposure, blog buzz, invitations to speak, and a surge in readers (for Authors) can lead to career opportunities such as interest from agents and editors, book deals, increased book sales and, ultimately, higher income from multiple sources. A company (or Author) who has the biggest and strongest platforms are usually those who have spent time providing valuable information, building relationships and gaining the trust of their audience.
How a marketing platform helps:
- Mapping your marketing activities out will lead to success. After all, you wouldn’t set out on a road trip without some help from GoogleMaps first, right?
- The platform helps to set goals/milestones. Your platform provides the discipline to help you achieve the growth and accomplish your goals.
- It helps you budget wisely. Most of us don’t have an unlimited supply of resources (time and money) to do everything we can imagine, therefore a complete and comprehensive platform will help you identify the best things you can do to market your business, while at the same time determine the potential ROI of each tactic. This way you can determine if it’s worth your while to pursue a particular strategy.
Key ingredients to developing a successful marketing platform:
- Audience Insights. You need to understand who your audience is, why they should care about your product or service, what they are interested in and where they go to get information.
- Messaging Strategy. Commonly referred to as an elevator speech, your messaging strategy is a compelling statement 40 words or less that gets a prospect to become interested in learning more about your product or service.
- Initiatives. This is where you determine what marketing tactics are best for your business. This is done by determine the cost for implementing the tactic and what the potential ROI will be.
Please email me if you have any questions or would like to learn more about developing a marketing platform for yourself and/or your company or product:
Danielle Foley, President ~ Foley Marketing Advisors